Lenny

Rule discussion

20 posts in this topic

Right pretty simple and straightforward:

If you have any suggestions regarding rules, this is the place to put them. Any trolling, spamming or general fucking about will be punished. This is a serious thread for suggestions and discussions. Prove that you can handle it.

How to post a rule/suggestion:

Green = new rule you would like to see

Orange = a current rule that has been reworked

Red = a rule you want gone

Put down the rule and then give an explanation why you think that rule should exist/change or be deleted.

E.G.:

I want this rule for reasons

I think this is a good rule because X-reasons, it would also solve Y-problems we currently have. it might cause some conflict with Z-people but in general this rule should improve gameplay/community

I wouldn't say its a rule but could you maybe change the colour scheme that isn't the bane of my existence?

Posted (edited)

I have recently been called out for saying the server IP out loud. There were two reasons I did not know this was disallowed.

• I thought the IP address was included in the ArmA 3 Sync client after you followed the installation guide.(which it was not so I said some other IP out loud) Therefore I thought it would be openly available through the guide.
  • The rules do not explicitly disallow it.

Because I was shocked I broke a rule on my first day on this server I headed to the forums and tried to find where I misread a rule and I had trouble finding it.

Here are some suggestions to make it harder to miss these rules and eliminate some possible rule-bending.

General Rules:

• Do not say server IP addresses or server passwords out loud
  • Do not hand out server IP addresses or server Passwords unless... (I don't know under which circumstances and by whom the password and IP are usually handed out, I got it from Katla or Slouchy Orc)

To me it seemed like this rule was actually in the official rules but it is in fact not or at least not explicitly. The rule 

• Don’t post personal information (IP addresses, addresses, phone numbers)

does not explicitly disallow server information and nowhere in the rules can you find the line to disallow saying passwords or IP out loud. This rule is instead located in the How to join our ArmA sessions! Guide. 

[...] From there, we will give you the server IP and password. If we find anyone handing these out - We will change the server password and you will be banned. We're fine giving it out, but under a controlled circumstance. And don't say the password out loud!

This to me is one of the most important rules because it can and will get you banned if you do not follow it. In my opinion this must be listed in the general rules.

Edited by Crelax

If you had read the rules you would have read the following rule:

• Common sense applies to all these and the following rules! That means no loop holes!

The reason we do not say the details out loud is because we have a lot of streamers. I am sure you are aware what they are because there is a 95% chance you are here because of them. Common sense says that you would not want 1000+ viewers to have the password after someone says it out loud.

If we really have to start writing every rule and restriction we come across it would become a day job for us. So please just use your brain and think before you do.

42 minutes ago, Crelax said:

[...] From there, we will give you the server IP and password. If we find anyone handing these out - We will change the server password and you will be banned. We're fine giving it out, but under a controlled circumstance. And don't say the password out loud!

This to me is one of the most important rules because it can and will get you banned if you do not follow it. In my opinion this must be listed in the general rules.

You basically already answered your own suggestion to change the rules by quoting this. Saying the IP out loud pretty much equals handing it out on this server due to the large number of streamers, as Mavy just said. To me it also seems common sense not to say those details out loud. 

My main complaint is that there is a very important rule which is at no point mentioned in the rules.

49 minutes ago, Sinderi said:

is not mentioned in the rules that can be found hereI am not trying to find a loophole here, I am trying to clarify rules and prevent accidental rule-breaking.

20 minutes ago, Crelax said:

My main complaint is that there is a very important rule which is at no point mentioned in the rules.

is not mentioned in the rules that can be found hereI am not trying to find a loophole here, I am trying to clarify rules and prevent accidental rule-breaking.

Again, I will reiterate what Mavy said. We will not write down every single rule that is on this server. There is many common sense ones. We don't have to write rules down saying not to repeatedly shout racial slurs (for example) in the start room, because it's common sense, and you would be an idiot for doing so. 

Not saying the IP out loud is very much common sense, so shouldn't need to be made into a rule. And if 'common sense' is not enough for you, it is both written down in the FNG guide, AND is basically said multiple times by members to not say the IP and password out loud when someone asks for it.

So no, the rule will not be added. If you have enough common sense to manage to get into TS, download our mods, and get into a game, you can have enough sense not to say the IP out loud.

Posted (edited)

ArmA Rules:

Weapons:

All squad members are to take role specific weaponry. 

(original: All squad members are to take side- and role specific weaponry.)

I think it is a useless rule that you have to carry a side weapon since i haven't seen one guy caring about it.

I may or may not have also not followed this rule since it's extra weight.

EDIT: May be useful in CQC...

Edited by Vados

1 minute ago, Vados said:

ArmA Rules:

Weapons:

I think it is a useless rule that you have to carry a side weapon since i haven't seen one guy caring about it.

I always carry a sidearm after it saved my life when a enemy jeep rolled up on me, I had used all the ammo in my mag for my assault rifle and it was quicker to switch to my sidearm then reload.

19 minutes ago, Vados said:

ArmA Rules:

Weapons:

Bit of a mis-read here -

This rule is intended to highlight "Don't take an AK if you're on the American side", NOT "You need to take a side-arm".

Hope this clears it up.

8 minutes ago, Vipershell said:

I always carry a sidearm after it saved my life when a enemy jeep rolled up on me, I had used all the ammo in my mag for my assault rifle and it was quicker to switch to my sidearm then reload.

Yes it can save lives but my point is that I think it shouldn't be a rule but something optional. At long range fights pistols don't really have a purpose and I haven't had to use one in my 3 weeks of playing.

Posted (edited)

3 minutes ago, Fidelias said:

Bit of a mis-read here -

This rule is intended to highlight "Don't take an AK if you're on the American side", NOT "You need to take a side-arm".

Hope this clears it up.

Thanks for clearing up. Understood it as side-weaponry=pistol. Google told me too...

Edited by Vados

1 hour ago, Vados said:

Yes it can save lives but my point is that I think it shouldn't be a rule but something optional. At long range fights pistols don't really have a purpose and I haven't had to use one in my 3 weeks of playing.

Apologies I miss read what you were asking.

Do not slot up until told to by zeus or any other person with autority on the current mission

Would save some time at mission start since sometimes people who are new slot up automatically to a role and then we have to ask them for 5 minutes to get out of the slot.

4 minutes ago, Nick Aryson said:

Do not slot up until told to by zeus or any other person with autority on the current mission

Would save some time at mission start since sometimes people who are new slot up automatically to a role and then we have to ask them for 5 minutes to get out of the slot.

This is already in place. FNG'S don't even connect to the server until regs have slotted up.

We get dragged from waiting room when they are ready for us to slot.

Posted (edited)

On 3/12/2017 at 16:07, Crelax said:

I have recently been called out for saying the server IP out loud. There were two reasons I did not know this was disallowed.

• I thought the IP address was included in the ArmA 3 Sync client after you followed the installation guide.(which it was not so I said some other IP out loud) Therefore I thought it would be openly available through the guide.
  • The rules do not explicitly disallow it.

Because I was shocked I broke a rule on my first day on this server I headed to the forums and tried to find where I misread a rule and I had trouble finding it.

Here are some suggestions to make it harder to miss these rules and eliminate some possible rule-bending.

General Rules:

• Do not say server IP addresses or server passwords out loud
  • Do not hand out server IP addresses or server Passwords unless... (I don't know under which circumstances and by whom the password and IP are usually handed out, I got it from Katla or Slouchy Orc)

To me it seemed like this rule was actually in the official rules but it is in fact not or at least not explicitly. The rule 

does not explicitly disallow server information and nowhere in the rules can you find the line to disallow saying passwords or IP out loud. This rule is instead located in the How to join our ArmA sessions! Guide. 

I see a lot of downvotes for a really valid post.

I'm kind of appalled by the way people have responded to his suggestion, as he does state a fair point. Obviously, people are required to use their common sense, however, keep in mind not everyone thinks the way you do and does not have the same experience as you do. I was once in a similar situation, and for the love of god did I not understand why certain rules applied because, sadly, I missed the context to connect the dots. Which is something that I see happening too often.

Furthermore, a lot of FNG's still have to be told to not say the server information out loud. So I would only assume that this rule would come in quite handy?

Edited by V1rU5

17 minutes ago, Sausage said:

This is already in place. FNG'S don't even connect to the server until regs have slotted up.

We get dragged from waiting room when they are ready for us to slot.

Yeah but i mean also for unofficial games.

2 minutes ago, Nick Aryson said:

Yeah but i mean also for unofficial games.

For unofficial games it's up to the Zeus/host.

People ignore rules everyday. Most of the time it won't have great consequenses for the rest of the community. My guess is that a lot of the FNGs haven't even read the rules.
If someone where to say the ip and password out loud so it would be heard on one of the larger streams it could have massive consequenses. Therefore it's very important to remind people not to read it out loud. This is why when it's posted in TS it's usually always followed by "don't say it out loud". Most people, probably even Crelax, were told that when they first got the server info.

When we've got this preventative measure of always warning people not to say it out loud, having it in the rules isn't really necessary. All of us have heard it several times, and you'll hear it when you first get the info. If you're dumb enough to still say it out loud, you deserve whatever punishment you get.

1 minute ago, Mickey said:

Most people, probably even Crelax, were told that when they first got the server info.

Pretty much, yes. I was trying to say an IP out loud which I though was the server IP (it was actually the repo IP) and got interrupted doing so. Following this someone posted the IP and password and told me to never ever say these out loud so it was just a misunderstanding but I would still like to see such an essential rule written down.