Spartacus

16/7/2017

27 posts in this topic

Mission Feedback.
Remember to tag the people you want to directly adress (eg. your SL/2iC, Zeus)

Zeus: 

Platoon: 

Squad:

Posted (edited)

Mission 1 - Bravo 2IC

Zeus: @cineafx - That mission was wild. The objectives were varied and interesting and the enemy was numerous. The script that disables NVG while using Sights/Scopes is very unnecessary and not exactly realistic, if that was your aim.

PL: @TEG - You seemed to handle yourself well given the sheer volume of traffic on the net in addition to the divided groups (ABC and DEF) taking multiple objectives at once so kudos to you sir.

SL: @Timberhawk - You did well, as usual. Kept us together and issued orders timely and kept us informed. 

A reminder for anyone in the Auto-Rifleman Assistant role: The machine gun is the most important/effective weapon in any section (squad) just like it's the responsibility of the 2IC to take over a squad when the leader dies it's your responsibility to pick up that MG when the AR dies. I know it's heavy but you'll just have to adjust your kit to make it work. 

Despite the slideshow at the end of the mission I really enjoyed this one, but I'd probably skip out of any future missions with the whole NVG/Sight script in use. 

Edited by Ewido

Posted (edited)

Mission 2 - Alpha 2IC

Zeus: @Tomo, @BlueNexus, and @Neroxen

It was a great mission, I personally preferred it to the first, and I enjoyed the mixed combat, in vehicles and on foot, so I think you did a great job and made the mission fun and interesting by mixing different aspects of combat as well as making it more immersive (with checkpoints, etc.)

Platoon: @Doctadoone

Whoever you were, you did an excellent job, keeping the squads organised, I know a convoy of 15+ vehicles is tough and requires a lot of clear and precise communication between Platoon and Squad Leaders, which is even more difficult when squads have the wrong radios...

Squad Leader: @Codomain

You did a good job at leading the squad, and I believe it was your first time, so I'm sorry if I did too much of backseat leading, hopefully I'll be able to join you in a squad in the near future! :)

Alpha Squad: @Leafwater (Medic), @Knut (?), @Zero (?), @BluesPC (?), @Milly (?), and others (message me if you were apart of Alpha, apologies for my shitty memory)

Overall, I think we did well as a squad, and a lot of us genuinely owe our lives to @Leafwater, I would personally recommend you for a medic tag (whatever my recommendation would count for xD)! Also, you are all a great bunch of lads who I thoroughly enjoyed playing with and leading the odd couple of times, so I look forward to playing with you all again in the near future! :)

So I just wanted to end with saying thank you for allowing me to be your 2IC!!! 

Edited by C-O-B-R-A

Posted (edited)

1st Mission (16/07/2017 - 20:30 CEST)

I don't have any comment on this one. I don't even know what it was about. We drove somewhere, then drove elsewhere, then stayed a bit, only to get in a vehicle and have Mission Complete shown. I hope it was more exciting for other squads.

2nd Mission (16/07/2017 - 21:40 CEST)

Zeus: @BlueNexus, @Neroxen, @Tomo

Awesome Zeusing, the mission felt fair but difficult and everything was either visible ahead of time or spawned outside of view. Though most of it was getting to the actual first target, the 2nd half really made up for it.

Platoon: @Doctadoone?, @Silberjojo

I think you guys had issues contacting Bravo? I was in the driver seat of the 2nd Bravo vehicle, but didn't know how to reply - or what to reply, sorry about that. Otherwise pretty decent leading I'd say, there were no random contradictions in orders and groups were given clear orders.

Squad: 

• @Sir_Chuckles: Pretty decent accidental IC, would recommend this situation again. Can be (mostly) understood over game sounds, speaks clearly
  • @Krieg: Really great patching up there, keep it up!
  • @Ahanus Turon: Sick vehicle kill! Didn't get that one on recording, but i got the aftermath of it.
Edited by Xaymar
Wrong Zeus

Posted (edited)

17 minutes ago, C-O-B-R-A said:

Zeus: I can't remember, so please message me if you were a zeus for this mission! xD 

8 minutes ago, Xaymar said:

Zeuses for second mission were @BlueNexus, myself and @Neroxen.

Edited by Tomo

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Ewido said:

The script that disables NVG while using Sights/Scopes is very unnecessary and not exactly realistic, if that was your aim.

This is the best we can do with the current system of Nightvision in Arma. This is the current "fix" by ACE for the problem with the fixed lens aperture. jump to 7:21 in this video to know what I mean.

Edited by cineafx

This is a general reflection after the last mission (mission 2 which I co-zeused).

The general lack of understanding for squad leading and comms usage has dropped quite a bit recently.  I understand fewer regulars have been stepping up to the task so some brave FNG's have decided to give it a whirl, and that's fine.  However the lack of experience is making missions much slower and less exciting in some ways, while also being a headache for the poor platoon leader.

I'm thinking about ways to resolve this, such as encouraging said FNGs to try SL/2iC more in off hours missions too to get a feel for it.  I am also considering (after consultation of the official Squad Leader Trainers) running some informal squad leader crash courses to get some basics down amongst these FNGs and even some regulars.  A bit more experience across people wouldn't hurt, and I'd like to think I'm a decent squad lead so I should be able to lay down the basics.  This also hopefully will improve general skill in this area and allow for these people to become more effective squadmates in general.  

Just some out loud musings, I shall be back on this topic later so keep an eye on the forum!

Posted (edited)

Mission 1: Under cover of night we must infiltrate and extract multiple hostages. If 20% of hostages are KIA it's mission fail.

Zeus:  @BlueNexus @cineafx Solid Zeusing all-round. The NVG disable on scoping was AIDS though, particularly when peeking OVER the scope it turned off my NVG's.

Platoon: @TEG I didn't see you do anything because I got wiped out in the first 3 minutes (we'll get to that) but I'm assured you did well.

Squad: @Doctadoone SL - @ToffRocket 2ic - @Spooks AR (Me) - @Trahsi AAR - @Kalagen Medic - I Can't remember our LAT's sorry about that.

The mission was fine in theory and then @cyanidehappened. He wiped out 6 of Foxtrot and 4 of Bravo if we counted correctly and spent the remainder of the game afraid to fire his GMG ever again. Foxtrot recovered well, clearing 2/3rds of the town and recovering all Hostages. I hard crashed after that but it was fun even with Cyanide teaching the trees a lesson in spacing.

Mission 2: Vehicle Convoy must make it to the town of Chernogorsk where they will capture the town to complete the mission.

Zeus:  @BlueNexus Fug you and your chemlights, bish.

Platoon: @Doctadoone I felt so sorry for you when Bravo 2ic tried to call in on Opfor LR and then Crossroads tried to send a message on Longrange only for 4 squads to try to interrupt at the same time despite the order for only Crossroads to speak. @Silberjojo Excellent RTO as usual from our good friend Silber

Squad:  @Spooks Foxtrot SL - @gravitydefyingturtle 2ic - @ThatSlickOniichan Medic - @Arrexis AR - @Trahsi AAR - @Pilotgeoduck LAT

We got to play Engineer/Resupply Squad. Honestly for me it wasn't that boring but I realise for the guys in the back, particularly Repair, it would probably have been very boring until we got to FOB Victoria. I felt that we actually functioned rather well and didn't cause Platoon too much of a headache. Had some quality fun times Refueling, Resupplying and Repairing @cyanide and @TobiWan in Titan 1-1 and almost running @ZentharTheMagician over as he attempted self service with our Fuel Truck.

Was an all round quality mission.

I'm thinking about ways to resolve this, such as encouraging said FNGs to try SL/2iC more in off hours missions too to get a feel for it.  I am also considering (after consultation of the official Squad Leader Trainers) running some informal squad leader crash courses to get some basics down amongst these FNGs and even some regulars

During Off-Hours Ops there aren't many players who will actively try to Squad Lead. This leaves a few of us FNG's with the role. I don't mind squad leading these missions as it is generally a good place to learn and wherever possible I will play 2IC. I've stepped up a couple of times in Main Missions to take SL/2ic or even picked it up as our SL/2IC die off. I feel comfortable doing this but I understand more than many that this is not always healthy. My squad leading is far from the finest and I am pretty sure I am reinforcing many bad habits. As a result I'd appreciate any training offered. Even if only a crash course that teaches me nothing, at least it reinforces the good things to do.

Edited by Spooks

2 minutes ago, Spooks said:

The NVG disable on scoping was AIDS though, particularly when peeking OVER the scope it turned off my NVG's.

This is the effect I was going for. It isn't the very good but better than nothing. And to be fair, it was bright enough in the mission to not even need NVGs.

3 minutes ago, cineafx said:

This is the best we can do with the current system of Nightvision in Arma. This is the current "fix" by ACE for the problem with the fixed lens aperture. jump to 7:21 in this video to know what I mean.

1 minute ago, cineafx said:

This is the effect I was going for. It isn't the very good but better than nothing. And to be fair, it was bright enough in the mission to not even need NVGs.

I'll give you that it was bright enough to not need the NVG's but it was quite jarring to have them work sometimes unexpectedly and other times not work. My HK MG36A1 scope worked perfectly with the NVGs but I switched as I knew it wasn't what you had in mind for the mission. That said, looking over the scope, fixed aperture or not, should not switch off my NVG's as far as I'm concerned. Was a decent mechanic to try out for the first time anyway though.

Just now, Spooks said:

fixed aperture or not, should not switch off my NVG's as far as I'm concerned.

Yes I agree. I will probably never use it again. Now we can just wait and hope that said feature will be implemented into ACE at some point.

Mission 1: FoxTrot AAR

Zeus:  @cineafx

I have no real comment on the mission itself as FoxTrot didn't really get to be involved thanks to the armour crew mowing us down.  That said, the module to not allow NVG while scoped is bollocks and either needs heavy tweaking or just not be used.  It doesn't even allow it when using iron sights which just made it unpleasant and pretty much forced hip firing.

Platoon:  Don't know.  No real comment.

SL: @Doctadoone

The mission might have been fun if the armour crew didn't fail to do any IFF after slamming the breaks in front of us, forcing us to veer of to the side, then proceed to mow us down with an automatic grenade launcher.  Six of our eight squad members wiped out before we even got anywhere because of armour not checking their fire.  Then after respawn, we spent pretty much the entire time playing catch up.  

Docta, you did a solid job for what little action we had.  I'm sorry I didn't double check if it was you that shouted dismount.  I kinda panicked and dodged out when I heard it.  That cunt got us all killed.

Mission 2: FoxTrot AAR

Zeus: @BlueNexus, @Tomo, @Neroxen

Great mission.  I can't speak for the rest of my squad but I had a great time as the engineering crew.

Platoon:  @Doctadoone

Great platooning as per usual.  Everything seemed well organized.  At least from the Engineering squad's perspective.

SL: @Spooks 

Great leading, Spooks.  You kept track of everything and got us moving to the right points damned well.

Overall, I actually had a lot of fun in this mission!  It was completely different from anything I've done and was also super laid back.  Literally had my feet up while chatting and joking with the squad.  I'd love to do this again.

Also, @TobiWan, after your inquiry about vaping near the refueling truck and the boiling point of gasoline, I took it upon myself to do some research.  Turns out you can, sort of, vape gasoline.  But not recommended because, surprisingly, it doesn't taste good.

Just now, Trahsi said:

It doesn't even allow it when using iron sights which just made it unpleasant and pretty much forced hip firing.

That is the point. Take a look at these earlier comments from me.

24 minutes ago, cineafx said:

15 minutes ago, cineafx said:

Yes I agree. I will probably never use it again. Now we can just wait and hope that said feature will be implemented into ACE at some point.

Zeus: @Doctadoone - Mission was fine. A bit too many Ai in the final objective however nothing too bad.

Platoon: @Zoteri_Andrew. This was by far, the worst platoon I have ever seen be attempted. To start, the camo at the start was G3 M81 and SPC, which NEVER works together. This wasn't the real concern however. The real problem was the absolute lack of communication, the terrible battle plan, and the fact that it took over 30 MINUTES for you to get your medic to Bravo's medic. I understand that your medic is a key role and you were attacking an objective, however completely ignoring bravo, then moving onto the NEXT OBJECTIVE without stopping by, bearing in mind you were in a UH-60, is completely unacceptable. I was eventually zeus healed, which I wasn't pleased about. PLEASE, for the love of your squad, learn to play the role you take. You should not take platoon lead OR squad lead until you can communicate effectively and actually make a plan that isnt just "Go Here" markers. I'll even link both guides for you.

Squad: Bravo Medic

Overall squad was fine. Organisation could have been better, and the fact we rushed the first objective was outright stupid.

Mission 1 - Delta Rifleman

Zeus - @cineafx, @BlueNexus, and @mulletshock

Platoon - @TEG

SL (Delta) - @Chefla

Good times. Others have touched on the NVG fuckery, so I won't, but it was otherwise an enjoyable mission. I like playing forces other than US Army and USMC all the time, so getting to play Bundeswehr was great. Platoon did a good job in a difficult mission.

Mission 2 - Foxtrot 2iC

Zeus - @BlueNexus, @Tomo, and @Neroxen

Platoon - @Doctadoone

SL - @Spooks

I had a surprising amount of fun as the logistics team; even though we didn't need to repair anything until the final city-clearing, I kept myself entertained by listening to Platoon lose his fucking mind at the rest of the SLs.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Final note: I owe @HolYdaY an apology. I complained about him on Friday's 2nd mission, but apparently the go-kart collisions were due to de-sync. Sorry dude.

Posted (edited)

Mission 1: Fox Squadlead

Zeus: @cineafx

Plt: @TEG

Mission was an utter DISASTER for us. First contact we get to, Delta and Echo drive on and Knight just sits in the middle of the road blocking our path. As a result, I tell the driver to drive off left into the trees to go around. When we start moving off we finally find out that half the squad has gotten out because some FNG rifleman ( Etienne-Z ) decided to scream dismount in the chaos. As a result we get seperated and promptly killed by friendly GMG fire courtesy of Cyanide. Great way to start a mission.

Eitherway after that horrendous start we had a fun time walking to our next objective where we managed to get all 5 hostages out. Shit start but fun end I suppose.

Mission 2: Platoon Leader

Zeus: @BlueNexus

Plt: Was meh bitchez.    @C-O-B-R-A (Just cause you asked for a notification) 

For a start, the mission FROM THE START was obviously going to either run long, or have to be cut short. We were tasked to drive a convoy from the Chernarus main airstrip to clear both Cherno and Elektro, a distance of nearly 8 KMs AS THE CROW FLIES. With roads it probably was closer to 10KM. You have no bloody clue how difficult it is to run a smooth convoy with 4 separate armour assets, 4 infantry squads and a logistics squad (16 vehicles total) over a SHORT distance, let alone travelling 2/3rds of the map. I split them up into three smaller convoys so it wasn't so much of a clusterfuck and it STILL eventually got all cluttered up and squished.

It does not help that we had some brand new SLs who don't know how Long Ranges work, one squad accidentally brought OPFOR ones too. On multiple occasions, I had to screech into the radio to stop two squads and crossroads all trying to talk at once. When I ask for someone to talk, I expect THEM and ONLY THEM to respond. That goes for crossroads too. When I'm trying to coordinate my squads through the hell you're throwing at us I don't want my orders being interrupted by some trivial message to the resupply trucks at the back. Just move over there and talk to them yourselves. Either way, we finally made it down to Cherno, set up an FOB and Platoon cleared more buildings than all you suckas.

Mission 3: Zeus

Again, it's a bit unorthodox for a Zeus to report on his own mission with my limited information and all, but there were some issues brought up I'd like to address. 

@Zoteri_Andrew  Sure. It might have been a bit mean calling you out for taking platoon at the start, but after seeing you in command recently - as an individual who regularly takes command in missions - I don't feel you're qualified to Squad lead let alone platoon lead at this point in time. Just the other day when it was me, Spooks and yourself you were COMPLAINING after the mission about how difficult it was to be in command despite only having a tiny fraction of a complete squad. I offered to take the long range multiple times as I have plenty experience and all I got was a "SHUT UP!" in response. After seeing that display I was sceptical to see you take Platoon and I was correct to assume so. The Long range was sloppy, requests from the other squads were denied or outright ignored and the incident with your medic was downright silly. ( @Wattsits I'm sorry about the heal but I really just felt bad for you between the terrible communication and the Alpha medic who couldn't read a map. When the chopper just flew past you I just kinda hit my head on the keyboard and took pity. Won't happen again.)

Long story short, read the guides that were linked. They really do help. Also do try to be a little less harsh with people. Charisma is important for command and while I'm not going to name names, you're not exactly making a ton of friends among your squad mates with the leading you've been doing so far. Just get a little more practice and eventually you'll get there. :D

P.S  SORT OUT YOUR MIC. I don't know what your settings are but you cut out halfway through orders EXTREMELY often on both radio and direct. This isn't just me that's noticed.

Edited by Doctadoone
Added Mission 3

Zeus: @Doctadoone

I liked the mission overall was good, confused about why we had boats and not all just took the cars at the start?

Also the final objective I noticed you took control of quite a few AI and killed a lot of people with it which was maybe a bit unfair considering the environment.

Platoon: @Zoteri_Andrew

I cant say anything that other more experienced people  haven't already said.

Squad: 

IC: @ThatSlickOniichan

you did a good job despite the confusing as fuck experience that was the long range .

@Wattsits I'm so sorry for your experience that mission how you didn't just quit I don't know but thank you.

Everyone else I have no clue who was in the squad by the end of it due to so many dc's and late joiners. 

Shoutout to @SuddenDeath fireworks at the end.

29 minutes ago, Tobe said:

Shoutout to @SuddenDeath fireworks at the end.

I got home just in time to join in on that last assault on the ruins. Basically showed up, shot a couple dudes and blew up ancient ruins in under 20 minutes.

See @Shafty/mowag I can handle explosives without something blowing up that shouldn't; like buildings with objectives in them, or friendlies.

No one was harmed in the making of that explosion, except for all the friendlies who died during the attack. 

Wait shit no, I think  @Trahsi said I blew him up. 

1 minute ago, SuddenDeath said:

Wait shit no, I think  @Trahsi said I blew him up. 

No, you just blew up my ears.

I was already dead and spectating you place the explosives.  But I alt+tabbed so the game's video and audio was paused/frozen until I heard someone on spectator chat say "Oh, I think Sudden is about to blow the cache".  So I tabbed back into the game to find I had left myself spectate in the dead fucking center of the cache right as what seemed like every sound in the fucking universe went off at a very, VERY unexpected volume.

It was fucking amazing and I laughed my ass off.  At least, I think I did.  Couldn't hear myself laughing after that.

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Tobe said:

I liked the mission overall was good, confused about why we had boats and not all just took the cars at the start?

Also the final objective I noticed you took control of quite a few AI and killed a lot of people with it which was maybe a bit unfair considering the environment.

I was giving you options. I gave platoon a choice of the time of day, and I gave him a choice of how he'd like to insert, IE the RHIBs, the cars or the chopper.

I took control of a couple but basically what I did was make a BIG ass selection box and divert all infantry in the area towards the ruin, as realistically they would have heard the fighting. After you captured the place, I felt you guys had more than enough people still alive so I was just trying to make it a tad more tense by throwing last ditch remote controls in the form of hip fire that started inaccurate as balls and moved towards kneecaps in an attempt to stop the detonation. Also because apparently Tanoa jungle breaks infantry cause half of them didn't even move along their patrol routes let alone move when ordered to. The minute I heard the explosives start going off I stopped.

Edited by Doctadoone

8 hours ago, gravitydefyingturtle said:

Mission 1 - Delta Rifleman

Zeus - @cineafx, @BlueNexus, and @mulletshock

Platoon - @TEG

SL (Delta) - @Chefla

Good times. Others have touched on the NVG fuckery, so I won't, but it was otherwise an enjoyable mission. I like playing forces other than US Army and USMC all the time, so getting to play Bundeswehr was great. Platoon did a good job in a difficult mission.

Mission 2 - Foxtrot 2iC

Zeus - @BlueNexus, @Tomo, and @Neroxen

Platoon - @Doctadoone

SL - @Spooks

I had a surprising amount of fun as the logistics team; even though we didn't need to repair anything until the final city-clearing, I kept myself entertained by listening to Platoon lose his fucking mind at the rest of the SLs.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Final note: I owe @HolYdaY an apology. I complained about him on Friday's 2nd mission, but apparently the go-kart collisions were due to de-sync. Sorry dude.

Glad you enjoyed it!

Posted (edited)

1st Mission Delta Rifleman (and RTO/2IC for a bit)

Zeus: @cineafx Honestly, the NVG script didn't bother me at all. It was bright enough to fight without NVGs, so i rarely used them. When i had to use them, for example in the forest, i didn't feel the need for a scope as it was CQC anyway.

It's an interessting idea and i like creativity in mission as it can make them very enjoyable. 10/10 for effort and creativity :D.

Platoon: Comms were decent and plan was Ok. So no tag.

SL: Leading was good and clear comms. Again no need for tag.

All i can say is that i don't like being a SL as i get overwhelmd easily by the comms and my brain goes into panic mode. I hope it wasn't horrible.

Edited by BigT

Mission 1: 

Zeus: @cineafx

Raptor lead: @Woody

The NVG limitation was ridiculous, even stopped NVG's from working when using iron sights. That's not how it goes irl either. I've read your remarks earlier in this thread about what you were trying to achieve, though let's just wait for the ACE option for that. I saw the three squads being molested by a couple of BTRs or BRDMs early on, our trusty littlebird wasn't able to do much. Later on we got some action, mostly by being friendly fired when there were some enemy little birds in the AO as well. At the end of the mission, I got kamikazed by a zeus controlled little bird, that's one way to stop an asset. :D

Mission 2:

Squad lead: @MrVantage and 2ic sir_knuckles: I think Vantage had to leave early on, idk who took over after, but comms were very poor, no beneficial squad movements or group engagements; the amount of casualties was a direct result of that.

Just now, Chuck Yeager said:

I got kamikazed by a zeus controlled little bird, that's one way to stop an asset.

Oh lol I didn't even know about this. Wasn't me taking control. :D 

Posted (edited)

Third mission

Zeus: @Doctadoone

Platoon: @Zoteri_Andrew

Bravo CO: @ThatSlickOniichan

Pilot: @Franc ( Mittens took over half way due to real life issue)

Crew: @Mittens, @Whiskers

@Doctadoone

Perfect number of objectives I would have to say. One key thing I must commend you on was the spawning of techies and EI that where a fair distance for squads to deal which gave the bird something to do. Only issue was Fps, maybe a quick clean could have helped?

@Franc

I can safely say you are a safe pilot maintaining half an angel for all scouts and strafes (not a bad thing). Just keep in mind when your gunners are engaging try to avoid making micro adjustments or just let em know you are moving. And bring a micro dagger with you, its a nice little gps which helps keep you orientated because you got a little confused at some points where the AO was. That being said, take pilot as often as you can because you have a good knowledge of how to driver the air boats. 

@Zoteri_Andrew, @HolYdaY

Platoon requested the bird to pick alpha squad up and bring them to the next objective. It was also said to pick my own LZ. Seeing as the closest pickup was on the objective (due to tanoa and its obsession with having trees) itself that was decided as the pickup point. The LZ required a pinnacle landing but there was so many god damn trees we should of died atleast 16 times.

I hopped on Alpha short range and @HolYdaY guided me in beautifully with clear simple instructions. You also gave instructions based on my view and not your own which really impressed me. Was a fun pickup to be honest.

Also @Whiskers provided a good view of my tailrotor by looking at it and then letting me know that we are gonna die on numerous occasions.

@Wattsits, @Tobe

I have to agree with you guys regarding the comms during this mission. They were poor to put it nicely. Clear communication is essential for a mission. @Silberjojo has the best comms in the community in my opinion so if you guys have any questions ask him if he isn't busy. He is good for helping out people.

I enjoyed this mission. It gets 3/5 Meows.

Edited by Mittens