whifey

Vanilla equipment

68 posts in this topic

Just a small one today

Whats the deal with people using vanilla Arma equipment?

In my opinion, when we play as the Americans or any Blufor force, we should always, ALWAYS wear the correct gear and weaponry, and I thought this was the case, but until recently, I've seen the MX and Plate carrier rig start to pop up more and more, and to be honest

I'm triggered 

autistic-screeching-5886f4480e746.jpeg.b4479f819eda93b98d2db58f57ddeca9.jpeg 

It seems that there is either a misunderstanding of rules, or it just isn't specified well enough or at all.   

Please do correct me if I'm wrong (which I'm not!)

Your friendly neighborhood convict 

Whifey 

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I think it's just not specified enough. One way to prevent people from taking is maybe typing the name of the mod as a prefix of the real camouflage in sidechat. 

But in my opinion seeing some vanilla stuff is great. It's a part of the game we for some reason never use. It's also familiar to a lot of people to a point where I could confidently say that someone with 1000 hours of play time has used vanilla weapons more than mod weapons.

So in conclusion I'd just say that it either needs to be so nitpickingly specified that it cringes like hell, or just ban it all together. Although I'm not a fan of the latter.

 

EDIT: I didn't specify earlier in this post, but vanilla equipment is also a lot better for easier training missions. Just because of that familiarity a FNG doesn't have to go über far out of his/her comfort zone. The equipment is familiar to them, and that can only be a good thing for someone we don't know his/her familiarity and competence with mod equipment for.

Edited by UniDigit
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, UniDigit said:

I didn't specify earlier in this post, but vanilla equipment is also a lot better for easier training missions. Just because of that familiarity a FNG doesn't have to go über far out of his/her comfort zone. The equipment is familiar to them, and that can only be a good thing for someone we don't know his/her familiarity and competence with mod equipment for.

I agree, when i started out i had no idea what weapons to use. I ended up using m4's for about 3 weeks before i tried something else, and even then i still use m4's as my goto weapon.

I was lucky enough for someone to give me a run through of the arsenal and the different mechanics instead of being a part of a dog fight in jets.

 

Side note: I use vanilla backpacks sometimes as autorifleman if it fits the camo we use. I always try to find the gear that matches, and if i don't i go for what blends in.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Carrier Special Rig is only rig with armor level V. Some people just want to live one more day, you know? 

Also, the only good vest with good explosive protection - vanila one(in two camo variants; both ugly as hell). 

 

Also also, sometime ago we had weapon restrictions. It did not work well for most of the players. MX's don't have any noticable advantages or disadvangages before RHS/BAF/NIA guns(as far as i know), so using them it's just matter of taste, and taste is individual shit. 

Edited by Cyico
minor text changes
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

People that use the special carrier rig should receive a firing squad accompanied with a temp ban.

I dont give a shit about your armor. Make sure your outfit doesnt clash and maybe, just maybe, try not getting hit in the first place?

(I'm a big fan of locking/limiting uniform/vest for each map/template)

Edited by Lenny
4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Lenny. What are you talking about? Carrier Special Rig in MTP matches quite good with MTP/Multicam uniforms from BAM/RHS. (Can say that about other camo patterns, though.)

Everything according to rules (even old ones, as far as i remember them). 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just go  by the name from the uniform if there isn't one I quickly find one that matches to the best of my ability. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lenny said:

 dont give a shit about your armor. Make sure your outfit doesnt clash

Styling tips by Lenny.

 

I used to be the same @whifey but now i just make sure i'm happy with what ever I'm wearing and the rifle i use. Though it still triggers the shit out of me when people use (what i class) a DMR rifle and put a x4 magnifier on it. Personally i think we should bring back the rule on what caliber rifle we take. But we are a very casual milsim community and rules like that would take away the fun for alot of people.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess how serious we want to be

I mean, MX's ain't used by the US and the plate carrier rig (been tested) doesn't really change the amount of shots taken(I mean it is arma, you should be dying in 1-2 hits) 
Also the first hit the player takes will knock them out, not kill them, so surviving longer isn't really a thing. 

But seeing a US solider wear all the correct uniform except a Plate carrier rig and using a MX just triggers the shit out of me. I don't really mind in smaller missions if nothing is specified, but the larger missions, I'd like to see the correct uniforms and weapons for the correct factions 

No VSM is GREAT!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cyico said:

@Lenny. What are you talking about? Carrier Special Rig in MTP matches quite good with MTP/Multicam uniforms from BAM/RHS. (Can say that about other camo patterns, though.)

Everything according to rules (even old ones, as far as i remember them). 

In my honest opinion the rig itself looks stupid and although it kinda fits with some uniforms, i still strongly dislike it because for example the green carrier rig can look russian at a quick glance. It wouldnt be the first time that i instinctivly aimed at someone wearing it... Thank god I have trigger discipline.

I prefer people wearing the same type of vest as the uniform states. I like uniformity in the platoon, not seeing 50 different variations

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, mulletshock said:

Styling tips by Lenny.

 

I used to be the same @whifey but now i just make sure i'm happy with what ever I'm wearing and the rifle i use. Though it still triggers the shit out of me when people use (what i class) a DMR rifle and put a x4 magnifier on it. Personally i think we should bring back the rule on what caliber rifle we take. But we are a very casual milsim community and rules like that would take away the fun for alot of people.

They're called Battle Rifles...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, UniDigit said:

They're called Battle Rifles...

DMR's is the modern battle rifle

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it's an evolution of the battle rifle. And doesnt mean every battle rifle is a DMR.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, UniDigit said:

it's an evolution of the battle rifle. And doesnt mean every battle rifle is a DMR.

As true as that is. There is no modern battle rifle the last true battle rifle was the FAL's used in the 80's. When the M14 start to appear again in the Iraq and Afghanistan war's it was used as DMR.  as they had the full auto function Of the rifle removed or not made with one. In fact most of not all battle rifle's have gone the same way.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Personally I think we should push people down to 5.56 again as default but speciality roles can go up to 7.62, for example

LAT should be carrying a 5.56 rifle, it's lighter and if they take a SMAW allows one to carry more weight due to the lighter nature of the 5.56
 

An auto-rifleman should be allowed to take 7.62 due to the heavy suppressive nature of the round and the better range they can achieve, this means that they can provide overwatch/cover fire from better ranges.

A Marksman should be allwed 7.62 by SLs permission, if no permission granted the marksman takes a 5.56 DMR

Medics take 5.56 and Rifleman take 5.56, same with 2ICs as well as this means they have more weight allowance for 203 grenades. 

With the change to 7.62, i've noticed more instances of people running out of ammunition and no ability to pass magazines around.

Edited by Vesper Akiri
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Vesper Akiri said:

An auto-rifleman should be allowed to take 7.62 due to the heavy suppressive nature of the round and the better range they can achieve, this means that they can provide overwatch/cover fire from better ranges.

If you wanna go for suppression it is better to take a 556 LMG. 762 is too much recoil to provide proper suppression on medium ranges. The added weight of the rounds and the gun also makes it harder to control properly unless you are deployed. For this reason I avoid taking an MMG unless I know I'm gonna be sitting on a hill for most of the mission.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Callistano said:

If you wanna go for suppression it is better to take a 556 LMG. 762 is too much recoil to provide proper suppression on medium ranges. The added weight of the rounds and the gun also makes it harder to control properly unless you are deployed. For this reason I avoid taking an MMG unless I know I'm gonna be sitting on a hill for most of the mission.

Hence why it should be open optional like I originally suggested. 

What I was pointing at was that with the 5.56 limitations, it allows more squad cohesion especially with sharing ammo. Personally I think there should be an amendment that means people must follow SL or 2ICs call on what type of caliber one is allowed on a mission

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Vesper Akiri said:

Hence why it should be open optional like I originally suggested. 

I wasn't trying to say it shouldn't be allowed. I was only saying that 556 is better for that specific purpose.

10 minutes ago, Vesper Akiri said:

Personally I think there should be an amendment that means people must follow SL or 2ICs call on what type of caliber one is allowed on a mission

This is already a thing.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Callistano said:

I wasn't trying to say it shouldn't be allowed. I was only saying that 556 is better for that specific purpose.

This is already a thing.

I see the rule that superiors word is law, in that regard when I've said to people to bring 5.56 and they've ignored it would this be something to take up in the after action report or to a CM directly?

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Vesper Akiri said:

I see the rule that superiors word is law, in that regard when I've said to people to bring 5.56 and they've ignored it would this be something to take up in the after action report or to a CM directly?

 

But why? If someone out of ammo with his speshul gun - it's his problem and he already punished himself.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

9 minutes ago, Cyico said:

But why? If someone out of ammo with his speshul gun - it's his problem and he already punished himself.

If you have 1 member of the squad doing their own thing, that can bring the entire squad down with it. That's 1 person that can potentially be a massive liability because they want to be a special snowflake.

Especially in missions where extra kit maybe required this allows for more wiggle room amongst the soldiers in the squad to bring spares or demo packs etc

 

EDIT: To add onto this, people feel there's no punishment with this as I've seen it several times where speshul snowflake picks up an enemies weapon and just ignores any command to drop it. I think the commissar system needs to be introduced to counter said speshul snowflakes. 

Edited by Vesper Akiri
2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Vesper Akiri said:

I see the rule that superiors word is law, in that regard when I've said to people to bring 5.56 and they've ignored it would this be something to take up in the after action report or to a CM directly?

 

This is where we reach a bit of a gray area of this rule. Normally people need to follow your orders no matter what the order is, or face being kicked for disobeying orders. However, in the past we had some people (who are no longer part of this community) abuse this by making unreasonable demands of their squad. For example, someone ordered a squadmate to drop all his guns after accidentally friendly firing someone, and tried forcing him to play the rest of the mission like that. This kind of stuff is obviously wrong. I'd say if they question your order you can explain your reasoning to them (if there is time for that) but they will not be allowed to ignore it. If they truly think you are being unreasonable or abusive, they can PM the CM's and have them decide. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Vesper Akiri said:

If you have 1 member of the squad doing their own thing, that can bring the entire squad down with it. That's 1 person that can potentially be a massive liability because they want to be a special snowflake.

Especially in missions where extra kit maybe required this allows for more wiggle room amongst the soldiers in the squad to bring spares or demo packs etc

Okay, fair point.

But what about different series of 5.56 weapons? Like M4/G36/AUG series.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Cyico said:

Okay, fair point.

But what about different series of 5.56 weapons? Like M4/G36/AUG series.

I don't mind if they take different types of 5.56 as it's mostly the ability to share ammo.

If I want someone to pack light I'd suggest a rifle to take (M4 CQB-R) to optimise their weight.

If we're running british kit, I'd ask them to take L85's as they use a different type of M4 magazine, which is mildly annoying as I do like my SOST rounds. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now